Monday, October 11, 2010

The Noise


I looove reading!!! Its a kind of relaxation for me to be transported to another world witnessing the life of the protagonist of the novel. I have a good enough imagination which gets fired the moment i lose myself in the pages between my hands!! My personal preference are definitely the mystery and suspense novels which go through so many entertaining twists and turns!!! But be warned, too many of these type make you immune to the plots that the author cooks up to throw us off the track and i usually correctly guess the antagonist after 2/3rds of the book!!




I had my share of books while growing up with The Famous Five, the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Enid Blyton's.....in my early teens. These titles were then replaced by The Fear Street, The Fear Street Sagas......by the time i reached XII. My mom used to call me cynical coz of my interest in these not-so-ordinary novels which explored into the realm of the supernatural and the unnatural!!! Well, eventually i out-grew my Fear Street addiction, to the great relief of my mom, and started getting hooked to Sidney Sheldon!! After reading all the novels by Sidney Sheldon, i explored other authors like Robin Cook, John Grisham...et all. I have a good collection of reads like the sidney sheldon's fast paced suspense thrillers, the laid-back witty Chetan Bhagat's true-to-life experiences, Agatha Christie's Poirot and Miss Marple, Sir Arther Conan Doyle's ever green Sherlock Holmes, the magical Harry Potter series...and the list goes on!! Unfortunately, most of these books are now lost in the process of lending them to frenz and relatives. But, on the brighter side,that leaves room in my book shelf to fill with newer reads that i keep splurging on. After falling off the reading habit for a while, i am now back again and you can find me with a good read in the bus/auto on the way to work or at the end of the day comfortable in my bed with my lil one beside me.


Some of these books come with excerpts (towards the end of the book) of stories by the same author or reads of the same genre. One such excerpt caught my eye and imagination. This was some time in my teens and i somehow missed the author's name and the title of the novel from which the excerpt was printed. But the small story was so captivating and so nail-biting that even to this day i cannot forget it. Of course it belongs to the suspense/mystery/supernatural genre. When i was 16yrs i tried to reproduce the excerpt as a poem which i am sharing with you all today.


Read on......



The Noise







Right in the middle of the night

She woke up with a fright

She had just heard a noise

which didnt sound like a human voice

She put her hand under the bed

and let her dog lick it when she was afraid

There it was---the sound again

which was now eating her brain

She was all alone in the house

with only a pet dog and a stray mouse

She gave her hand to her dog once more
comforted by his lick, decided to go and explore

The Noise---it sounded so unnatural

becoming more and more unbearable

Picking up all her courage

She managed to reach the passage

Looking cautiously into the kitchen
she shivered with fear like a chicken!

The Noise-- it was coming from the bathroom

she proceeded towards with with a broom

Oh My God!!! What was that???

She felt she was loosing her gut
There in her bathroom sink

was her dog as dead as a mink!!!

On the mirror in front of her

was a message about her Welsh Terrier

It said-”Who's been licking your hand?”

She felt like sinking into quick sand

As for the terrible, eerie noise....

it was her dying dog's cries!!!

 



Eerie na...? It was too good to forget and this is how i saved it in my memory and my Poe(m)-Tree.

Signing off like Priyanka Chopra's style in Khatron ke Khiladi-3......next time you hear something from your bathroom.....be careful.....coz U Never Knooooooooow!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment